Monday, July 12, 2010

Easy Hairstick tutoial


Hi Girls! (Or boys if any have come across this!) For day two of the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES FASHION WEEK I've done a hair tutorial. I have always loved Anne's hair, who hasn't wanted her beautiful red hair at one point or another? Except other red heads of course.=)

As much as I tried I could never get my hair an elegant and Anne like bun. Alas, my hair would have to be down to my tail bone before the length would wrap around enough to tuck under the ends. I guess just like red heads everybody but the people "blessed" with super thick hair want thick hair!

I had hair down to about 4-5 inches above my tail bone, but lower back length curly hair was just to much darn work! So, I got it cut above my shoulders and now have hair out past my shoulders.....bad idea! Anyway, I was messing around with my hair and came up with this, a super easy bun tutorial that will work on almost every kind of hair.

I know that my hair is straight in the video, but it's been super hot, so I've been avoiding the hair dryer and just washing and throwing my hair up in a pony tail using one of THESE super cute, yes, super expensive, barrettes. But, it hold up all of my hair, comfortably all day and has lasted for three years, I say that's worth the $21 I paid for it!

If your hair is longer then mine you can wrap the extra hair around the bun and secure with a hair pin or pull through that last time with the ends on top so the cascade down over the bun. That's what I'll do when my hair gets longer!=)

I really want one of these HAIR DAGGERS but my Mom said she wouldn't let me wear it out of the house, to scary! Besides no matter how cool $80 is to much for a hair accessory! Maybe you could make a wooden one, or dull a sword letter opener. You can accessorise your bun with flowers, feathers, ribbon, anything really I just couldn't find anything that I like! Have a great day!=)

I would love to see this on other peoples hair, so take pics and send me a link if you try it! Also if you have any questions just leave a comment,. You can see what's going on a little better if you make it full screen! 

All you need is a hair elastic(I use the thick non metal parts kind) and a hair stick.

7 comments:

  1. How fun! Thanks for putting together the video tutorial, KatySue! As I always wondered how one wore a hairstick. =)

    In Christ,
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is from the one who it hosting the apron swap. I wanted to check to see if you got the e-mail about your apron swap partner. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your face was so cute! :)

    Love your idea... I have medium long, THIN hair...so maybe that will work. :) Have you ever tried making more than one braid, and coiling them in the same direction? You might have to use more than one stick that way, however. :)

    And hair daggers are So Medieval!!!!!!!! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I have. But, I have to get my hair sooooo long to have the braid long enough to wrap that it would be crazy! My hair was almost to my tail bone, but when I braided it, it was only a couple inches past my shoulders and thick as my wrist. My older sister got it to work once, I swear she almost scalped me, my hair was pulled so tight and had so many pins in it. I think about 30, we counted as we took them out!=P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having hair that thick blows my mind...since mine is NOT thick at all...but it curls naturally, so I'm resigned. :) And I sympathize with the hairpins! :D

    How about taking your hair into a high ponytail, fanning out the hair all around, pulling it toward your head, and adding another hairband at the base? You should end up with a "doughnut" bun with the ends sticking out from underneath all around. Stylish...but not very Edwardian! lol

    Speaking of...I'd heard you had moved out of state! But your user profile says differently. You don't know me (and I am using an alias) ;) but I came to the C W balls your family used to put on each January in B, OR. Am also a friend of the J family who used to call those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try that doughnut bun, I'm always up for trying new ways to keep my hair up and out of the way during the summer!
    My Dad lost his job and now has a temporary one in NY. He comes home about once a month and my older sis got married in October and now lives in CO. So some of us are no longer in OR, but the majority still are!
    We wanted to keep having the balls but couldn't find another caller like Mr. J, I was so bummed when they moved!=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr K...the big-grey-bearded-cowboy-hatted guy...calls for our balls now. :) So if you want, I could somehow? send you a message once we get another one put together! We're thinking about a hoedown sometime soon. Would love for you to come! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!