Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why do you........

There is no one question that I dread answering the most when I get asked it by girls then why do you wear skirts or dresses all the time? I hate that question, I shouldn't because it is a chance to share about my relationship with Christ. Never the less, my tummy hurts when it is brought up. Why you may be asking! Well, it's because about 90% of the people who have asked me that question have acted offended and hurt by my answer and never talk to me again! There have been some good reactions, but most of the time it ends up badly.

What should I say? Should I tell them it's because my legs are stumpy, my butts big and I can't find anything with a 24" inseam? Those things are all true, and I think very good reasons, but they always want more(Looking like a jean clad sausage isn't enough reason!?!) I have come to realize that I can't avoid this question, so I will answer it to the best of my abilities. Hopefully I will learn how to say what I believe with out offending people!

All joking about stumpy or large body parts aside, I do have a biblical reason for dressing like I do. I believe that we should strive to be modest in our dress: 1 Timothy 2:9 -10 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works
This seems pretty clear about modesty, but pants can be modest as well. I mean skirts and dresses can be as far from modest as anything!! I just don't happen to like pants very much. Besides it much easier to imagine that I'm a princess or Anne of Green Gables in a dress! Twirling about in pants just can't ever compare, life is just more enjoyable for me in a swirly skirt! I believe that girls should look like girls and that boys should look like boys, it's as simple as that. God separates and defines our roles as men and women in the bible, non of that gender neutral stuff!

Verse 10 is the important part that we girls forget about sometimes, modesty in dress is not the most important part. It's far more important to act modest and Christ like. If we are dressing modestly but acting worldly what kind of message are we sending? We get so bogged down by rules and legalism, we forget what's really important!

1 Peter 3:3-4 - Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

That last verse says it all, it matters far more what your heart looks like, rather then what your wearing. The outside will change to reflect the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. What a thrilling idea! I strive to have that gentle and quite spirit, what more could a girl ask for then to be very precious in the sight of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!