Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's All in How You Say It!

"Don't tell anyone, but on the pagan day of the sun god Ra, I kneel at the foot of an ancient instrument of torture and consume ritualistic symbols of blood and flesh."

Reading that statement what kind of crazy stuff would you think the guy who wrote it was into? I also do this, not every week of course, but about once a month, sometimes more if it's a special occasion. Ra, torture, eating blood and flesh? Hold on a sec, before you judge me, here is the rest of that quote:

"And if any of you care to join me, come to the Harvard chapel on Sunday, kneel beneath the crucifix, and take Holy Communion."

This is from the new Dan Brown book "The Lost Symbol". He is using it as an example of how even the most regular events or odd ones can be made to sound very different just by using different words to describe them. Dan Brown is an amazing author, though one that I have to be very careful when I read. I'm one of those suckers who believe most everything they read(especially if there is an ;all the facts in this book are true, type disclaimer at the beginning of the book)

A few years ago I powered through The Da Vinci Code in about a day. I started at about 8 in the morning and finished at about 12:30 that night. I could not sleep because my world had been shaken! Was all that stuff true? I googled(gotta love the Internet!) all of the pictures he used as examples and look! There is the hand with the knife and the guy next to Jesus does look like a girl.

Luckily I have a parents who aren't as easily freaked out and we talked through it and I was back were I needed to be. Reading that book opened my eyes though, I started looking at the way people said things and saw the true power of words. That kind of persuasive power was amazing to me. So, now I read books with a more open mind knowing that I should check out things before I freak out and double check on facts. I still read Dan Browns books(obviously!) but now I take what he says worth a grain of salt. If I have questions I can ask my parents or research it myself. There really is breathable liquid, not quite as advanced as in the book, they are having success in that area. But, the whole happy ice crystals thing is a load of hooey!

Really knowing how words can be used as helped me cement what I know and believe. I'm trying to shore up my convictions, getting them firm so that there is no doubt that I meant what I said and I said what I meant!(I love that elephant!)

I'm still a sucker who will believe some pretty silly stuff, but it's worked for me too. I know lots of things that I probably never would have learned because I ask questions. If you know me at all I've probably annoyed you with all my questions. Please, don't get to annoyed, it's for for a good cause.=)

I'll leave you with two things, read Dan Browns books, they are really good. They are helpful in getting to know how the world twists what we Christians say and never, ever, ever underestimate the power of words. After all the pen is mightier than the sword!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that words can be very powerful.
    Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

    Dihydrogen monoxide:
    - is the major component of acid rain
    - contributes to the "greenhouse effect"
    - it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
    - contributes to erosion
    - accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals
    - may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes
    - has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

    Despite the dangers, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    - as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    - in nuclear power plants.
    - in the production of styrofoam.
    - as a fire retardant.
    - in many forms of cruel animal research.
    - as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

    Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal.

    The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must eradicate the evil substance at once!!=) Just let me go and get a glass of water first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!