Friday, April 29, 2011

Book Club!


I loved the cover if this months book and who could not be intrigued by the tittle? Sadly, it did not live up to my expectations. It was heartbreaking and staggering to me, just not in the way the author intended!

I tried really hard to like this book and forced my self through reading all of the rules and acknowledgements but was left feeling confused and was very excited to finally get to the story. But, I was only further confused by the chapter on his parents death, how long was Dad on the ground at the end of the driveway?

Wait, how may siblings are there? Who is Toph? Oh my gosh, did both parents just die? I kept having to flip back and forth tyring to piece the bits of the story together. Then after the funerals, the way Eggers was trying to play the give us stuff because our parents just died card made me feel squirmy inside.

I know he was a young man thrust into a very difficult situation but it seems to me the whole family could have handled things a lot better! Then about half way through I realized that it was a true story. It was rather depressing hard to follow and add in the fact it was true?? I had to stop, I really try not to stop in the middle of books, but I was avoiding reading and when I am doing that I know that it would be a good idea for me to just quite while I was ahead!

The picture and author profile in the back were good for a chuckle, this is not their dog.....

3 comments:

  1. Welp, we totally disagreed. I didn't have any difficulty following his plot or writing style. In fact I found it (his style) to be brilliant.
    So sorry that you had to quit mid-book. What a bummer.


    A Foreign Land

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that it was a rough read for you. Though I also had to flip back and forth a lot to keep track of who was who and who was really dying. There were lots of sad circumstances going on in that family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving it a go! I kinda feel like I owe the book club bloggers an apology for picking this book. It was life-changing for me when I read it at 16 and I kinda was hoping it would be for others but I definitely knew it wouldn't be everyone's favorite. Thanks for the honest review, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!