Friday, September 14, 2012

In Defense of Darcy


Ahh, Fitzwilliam Darcy, how many girls have idolized him over the years, holding him up to be the perfect man, and while I can't agree with that, I ALSO don't agree with the Darcy bashing that has been going around the blog world lately!

Yes, he's prideful, vain, unfriendly, judgmental, holds grudges and an often over looked fault, he is extremely shy and socially awkward. A "fault" I can definitely identify with!! 

But, he is also a faithful friend, is wiling to change his mind when he is wrong, kind to those beneath him, takes care of those he loves and upon further acquaintance becomes much more personable! If he was truly  a bad person, Bingley, Georgina and his household staff wouldn't like/love him the way they do!

So, while  he is a flawed man, he is also a good one, so while he may not be your cup of tea, I don't think he deserves the scorn and put downs I've seen about him lately!

*she now steps down off her soap box and shoves it behind her grinning sheepishly*

Now, on to the fun portion of this post!

I've seen three versions and while I have liked them all, I definitely have rated them in my mind!

~Third~
 I liked this version well enough, but they cut a lot and while I know this was necessary to make a 2 hour movie, it annoys this bibliophile non the less! And Darcys hair kind of bugs me, it's a little Beiber-esque for me!

~Second~
This version stays closest to the book, and was my favorite until I saw Lost in Austen.....but more on that in a moment. Colin Firth did an excellent job of capturing the pride and the social awkwardness that is Darcy, and I LOVE Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth! I am tickled pink that I test out as her on, Which Austen Heroine are You, personality quizzes!

~First~
A note of caution about this one, it is modern and British, so is a little off color at points, but I have to admit, that's one of the charms about it, the modern clashing with the old fashioned! You get to see another side of Wickam, which is nice and it totally fulfills my fangirl dreams of escaping into my favorite stories!

This is one of my favorite parts and illustrates the clashing of worlds I was talking about perfectly!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! You laid out my sentiments exactly! When I first read the book, I didn't really like Mr Darcy, but I think that I finally began to like him as I began to understand his character. I saw a bit of myself in Darcy (that socially awkward, shy bit), and I decided he wasn't so bad after all. And it's a good reminder that no one is perfect, so we shouldn't be out there looking for the perfect man to completely live up to our expectations, because there aren't any (outside of Christ).(:

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, here's my issue with Darcy. I don't *hate* him, but he's definitely not in my Top Ten Favorites or anything.

    My issue is with the phenonema in blogger circles that if you don't think that Darcy (or other Austen hero) is the best in the universe or that Jane Austen is as inspired as any of the Biblical authors, then you're either retarded or in sin. :-P I'm being facetious, obviously. But in all seriousness, my issue isn't Darcy or Austen - it's just that there's so much more out there than just Pride and Prejudice. I don't have an issue with P&P or Darcy being someone's favorite...but he's not the only one, and don't be offended when I say he's not mine. It gets a bit annoying sometimes how Austen has monopolized the homeschool/whatever world. Not as much recently as people are beginning to explore other stories and heroes and whatever...but for a long time it was Darcy Rules...and I for one am more than happy to knock him off the perch. :) I think he's sweet, awkward, and shy, just like you said. Has great character...and is Colin Firth. Need I say more? But call me weird...I've never in my life had a crush on any incarnation of Darcy or been captured by Austen. I guess I'm just a part of the misfit minority that couldn't ever quite "get" the Austen obsession and is happy to be a bit more accepted now that other heroes are on the rise. :)

    And thanks to you...I REALLY want to see Lost in Austen now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen both the third and second on your list. I liked Darcy well enough, though I had trouble following the plot so my sister had to pause the long movie and explain it every now and then. He's not my favourite hero from a period movie, but I like him much better then Rodger. And I understand him, being all awkward. I do love how he looks after his friends though and that bit where Bingley was practicing his proposal with Darcy shall always be one of my favourite scenes. Also, I have fond memories of this movie.

    However, I don;t think I can ever love a period hero more then Thornton. Darcy is a close second though.

    I KNEW someone on pintrest had that picture of Watson posted! Glad I know who it was now.

    Yeah, I can imagine the genuses board one day, and after watching The Lord of the Rings.
    "How hard was it for Gollum to bite of Frodo's finger do you think?"
    "Here, let me try."
    This is why I'm a mad genus without the genus.

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Snap* "Polly, you-" "It's okay, you don't have to say anything." "Lens cap."
    I too almost died laughing. I had to suppress my giggles so as not to wake my flatmate, but I laughed so hard, then laughed the next day about it. Best movie ending ever I think.

    I am tempted to watch Tomb Raider. I like guy movies, and it kind of sounds like Indiana Jones.

    I KNOW! They need to hurry with the second Tintin already! I get it, three Hobbit movies is fun...BUT PETER JACKSON! We've...well, some of the world, has been waiting on Tintin movies for YEARS! (This is the ONLY thing I'm mad at Peter Jackson about. I'm not too mad though, because he's a Tintin geek and his favourite book is mine. So I have high hopes for the second movie.)

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd just started picking up on the Darcy bash fest going on. For years, all Austen/regency has been the iconic fiction "bible" for the conservative/homeschool scene (of which I am part of) and it bothered me to know end out completely worshipful people were of Austen. BUT -- neither do I agree with the bashing going on. I mean, seriously. He's NOT REAL. Why get in a stew over it? There's no perfect man. And seriously, no one will ever meet Darcy (except the lucky Amanda Price), so why really get all into it? What real person is going to honestly base their ideal man off of Darcy? Or off of ANY movie character? He's amazing, but he's not real. So, enjoy him for himself in all his fiction manliness and leave off the bashing, is what I say. Thanks for your post. :) I know am determined to beg, borrow or steal a copy of Lost in Austen if it's the last thing I do! I'm hearing about it alot.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way...have you seen the modern-day comedy of P&P with Cam Heskin & Orlando Seale? If you haven't, then gal, you'd better! Some people hate this version, but it's a COMEDY (I laugh every time I watch it!), so you have to go into it realizing it's not sophisticated regency like all the others. It's one of my favorite movies period. Here's a link to my movie review on it if you care to see:

    http://cherrycokeandpopcorn.blogspot.com/2012/08/review-pride-prejudice-pink-bible.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a pity I can't find Tomb Raider on netflix, I suppose I shall have to rent them or hope my library has them. *Raises eyebrows*

    EHEHEHEHEHEHE! I don't think any girl would find the main character as cute as Indiana Jones. That made me laugh. My mum is like a school girl when it comes to him. Or, like I am with David Tennant. (Can't believe I just fessed up to that.)

    ALLONS-Y!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!