Monday, July 6, 2009

Window Shopping

Last night at bible study the issue of contentment was one of the topics of discussion. I've always liked hearing how other people find contentment because it's such a funny and difficult concept for me to grasp sometimes. How can I be content with my situation, yet want something more? Or better?

1 Corinthians 7:17-24
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches. 18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.

These are some of the verses that we were looking at last night and it makes sense to me that God called you to be where you are and if He wants your situation to change He will bring about the circumstances to change it. But, what if I miss the signs? What if that one decision is going to change the rest of my life and I make the wrong choice! Does God believe in second chances?

As my brain spins out of control, my thoughts running wild something in the back of my mind says, oh yeah! Wait a second! Then I remember that God does believe in second chances. He gave us a chance in the garden of Eden and we screwed up, Noah was another chance to start clean, the Israelites were all ways messing things up big time and Jesus was the ultimate second chance! A second chance at life with Him beside us here on earth and life with Him forever in heaven.

I need to learn to be content with my situation and be praying and paying attention to what God is doing in my life. One wrong choice will not be my ride to hell in a hand basket! God has the grace(thank goodness!) to realize that us humans can be thick sometimes. Now, I can't sit on my butt and expect God to drop that husband, job, car etc. in my lap, but one step in the wrong direction won't mean I'll never get where He wants me!

And now to explain the tittle of this post, as contentment discussions always turn to in groups of singles, the issue of contentment while waiting for your spouse was brought up. Ah, my favorite subject!(hehe) Someone, I'm not sure who said it but somebody called dating window shopping! I love that! You can look, touch, feel, even try on and walk around a little, but with out actually having to commit to purchase! What a perfect picture of what the normal dating scene looks like.

It was also interesting to see what the guys in the group had to say(I've had my fill of what girls think on the subject!) they just aren't as concerned and obsessed with the idea. I'm usually pretty okay where this subject is concerned, not being wild to get married the point of settling. Though I've never had the opportunity to even catch a glimpse of what I'm missing, so maybe that's why...............

To be honest It has been on my mind more lately because my older sister is getting married. That little voice in the back of my head is saying,"She always gets the good things first! She's had her chance and she spoiled it twice! Be jealous, be upset, it's your turn now! The only person who will ever be interested in you is an old, one toothed widower with 12 kids!" I am desperately trying not to let that voice be an influence on my thoughts and actions, besides when was the last time you saw an old, one toothed widower with 12 children? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!