Saturday, March 20, 2010

What was Lost has Now Been Found!

This is a rainbow Smorsel Bar. They were my all time favorite cookie as a kid but then when we moved up from Southern CA they didn't have rainbow smorsels here(chocolate chips covered in those round sprinkles) and as the recipe was on the back of the bag, we never had them again!

It seemed simple enough, just a gram cracker crust, marshmallow fluff, chocolate chips and sprinkles, right? Nope! Subtle differences made the finding of the exact recipe very hard. I mourned for these bars and was always trying recipes that seemed the same. Then I found the crust, the part that had been the big stumper, but it had normal marshmallows and M&m's on top.

I immediately wanted to try them again the next day and use the old school toppings, but as fluff is messy and hard to work with there was some resistance from the less dedicated among us. I finally got to make them my way and I once again was able to enjoy the best cookie in the world!

Rainbow Smorsel Bars

~Crust~

I cup gram cracker crumbs

1/2 cup butter softened

1/2 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Place all ingredients in mixer and mix on low speed until small crumbs form. Press into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.

~Toppings~

1-2 jars of marshmallow fluff(I used a jar and a half for mine!)

Milk Chocolate chips

Little ball sprinkles(or non pariels for those bakers among us!)

Using a rubber spatula very well coated with Pam, glob the fluff onto the fresh from the oven crust. Reapplying the Pam very often, spread the fluff into an even layer being careful not to tear up the crust to badly! Sprinkle with desired amount of chips and put back in oven until the chips look melty then apply sprinkles very liberally! Impatiently wait until crust has cooled and then enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One warning, these are very messy to eat! I was going to bring some to a game night I was going to last night. But, they just seemed a little to messy for a game party!=)

2 comments:

  1. Is the Impatiently wait until crust has cooled is on your recipe? we can't wait patiently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No actually, I couldn't wait patiently! I had already been waiting for 14+ years!! The crust is simple so I just had it memorized, and the other stuff is easy, so it's not actually written down anywhere(except for the blog now!) so yes in my recipe it says to wait impatiently!=)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!