Thursday, July 26, 2012

Candy Smuggling.... Sin or Justified Rule Brekaing?



A friend of mine posted a link to THIS ARTICLE on my FB page. He is an unashamed smuggler and I am a horrified rule keeper. We've "discussed" this topic before, he laughs at my horrified face and I get emotional and annoyed and both of us end the conversation with unchanged minds!

It seems like most of the commenters agree that it's fine to smuggle candy, drinks and even whole meals into the movie theaters, but do you know that the theater makes no money from ticket sales the first two weeks of a movie and the only money they make is from the concession sales? So, if the movie doesn't last more then two weeks.....

I know the movie snacks are super expensive, but so are the tickets to get in. Why not just have one person buy a ticket and then let the rest of the group in through the exit door?

You know what else is expensive? Cd's and DVD's, so illegal downloading off of the internet must be okay too! Yippie, no more Netflix or Hulu subscriptions for me, I'll just download everything or free!

And I really like those boots at Target that I just don't have the money for right now.....there is no sign specifically telling me NOT to steal them, so I can just tuck the boots in my purse, right?

See where I'm going with this?

How does it look to kids who see us only keeping the rules we like or think aren't stupid? What if they don't like the rules you set and think bed times and vegetables are stupid? How can you explain that sneaking candy into to movies is okay, but they have to obey your rules, what's the difference?

How does it look to nonbelievers that we can't keep a simple rule like not sneaking candy into the movies? We read and watch all the same things, sneak candy, sleep around, pirate things off of the internet and from our friends, the divorce rate is almost identical in the church as out, is it really any wonder they view Christians as hypocrites?
WHEW! That went deeper then I thought it would.....fire away with your thoughts and objections!

Ps. If you don't like the prices, YOU DON"T HAVE TO GO TO THE MOVIES! They're not forcing you to sneak (the very use of words like smuggling, sneaking, hiding ect ect ect, kind of denotes guilt or wrong doing, don't you think?) the contraband food in! And using Dave Ramsey as a scap goat is just sad.....but officer I HAD to steal the car, I would have to dip into my 6-9 month emergency fund to buy it otherwise and I need it! =P

Pss. My family used to be candy smugglers, but my parents consciences were pricked after going through Growing Kids Gods Way and stopped!