Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum!

Romans 14:13-17 says:

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

I came across this passage today as I was reading my bible. Even though it's against the "rules" of the plan I'm using to read my bible I read it again and then again. Then I looked it up in different versions. I always knew that I had gotten my philosophy of as long as I'm not disobeying God or His word I can do my own thing from the bible. I just couldn't find where!

I didn't used to be like this, I used to be a little legalist! My way or the highway bucko and my way was the right one of course! But as I've gotten older I've loosened up quite a bit. I at one point threw away all my music that wasn't Christan and didn't watch TV or movies at all. I wouldn't wear pants even when my parents told me to. This way of living caused lots of strife between me and my parents.

Through Gods growing me and maturing me I've realized that this was not the way to do things! I can listen to country music(Yes, all you country haters out there. I listen to it and like it, so there!) watch movies, read non christain books and even wear pants. Yes Mom, I'm sorry but pants are okay! Not the super tight, muffin top, show my butt crack type pants, but then skirts can be very immodest as well!

I know that this passage just mentions food but surely it applies to other places in our lives as well! As long as your choices don't make your "brother" stumble and are within Gods commands for your life go ahead and march to your inner beat! Constantly be in Gods word and praying for His guidance in your life. So, if you feel that God wants you to only listen to Christian music go ahead but don't look own on me because I don't feel the same call in my life. If you feel He's called you to not watch movies that are R rated, Pg-13 or even totally skip secular media go ahead and skip these things but for some people it might be fine. But, don't judge those who are called to be more conservative!

On the flip side, for those of us who feel called to live more conservatively, we shouldn't lecture or look down on people who aren't called to the same things as we are. Like how not everybody is called to be a missionary. There are certain commands that apply to us all and we need to never forget those!!

Besides isn't there something in that bible of ours about taking care of the plank in your own eye before yakking about the speck in your brothers?=)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you, so drop me a message. Don't forget to check back in, as I may have responded to your fantastic comments! Keep it clean and friendly please!